“What’s the best beach you’ve ever been to?” is a question I’ve been asked many times. So I decided to put together a list of my favourite best beaches around the world and why they were special.
1. The uninhabited islands near Hoadehdoo in the Maldives – These islands are only visited by the locals living in nearby island communities. It’s so untouched and magical. The only way you can see them is by volunteering on the local islands. The white soft sand, turquoise waters, and palm tree lined beaches are a site to see. When you get a chance to overnight on one of these islands you will experience the sea light up with bioluminescent plankton, the amazing star lit sky, and tranquil blue waters. Feels like you are in a dreamland.
2. Djúpalónssandur on the foot of Snæfellsjökull in Iceland – After a short hike through interesting volcanic landscape and passing by the remains of an old fishing trawler you discover this black sand beach. It’s so raw and rugged and the sea looks incredibly powerful. Such amazing energy at this beach!
3. Mystic Beach, Vancouver Island, Canada – You can find this beach along the Juan de Fuca Trail on the southwest side of Vancouver Island. This photo was taken in December and I was still taken aback by its beauty. There’s a waterfall jetting off onto the beach, a swinging rope, and interesting rock formations. Not to mention the hike down to the beach is amazing – it includes a suspension bridge!
4. Havelock Island, Andaman Islands, India – Radha Nagar Beach, a.k.a. Beach No. 7 on Havelock Island is a beautiful crescent shaped beach lined with lush vegetation and it has the most amazing water. The water is so clear and drops quite deep when you swim out but you can still see the bottom. You feel like you’re in a giant swimming pool! To the right of the beach there is amazing snorkelling.
5. Playa de Ostional, Costa Rica – We discovered this beach on our yoga retreat in Nosara and are so glad we made the 20 minute trek through the forest from the retreat centre to find it! It has amazingly soft sand and fun waves to play in. The tide was always out when we were there, and it had shallow calm water to relax in and cool off on those hot Costa Rican days.
6. Konark Beach, Odisha, India – This hidden gem can be found on the East Coast of India close to Puri. This undeveloped beach stretches for miles and it’s magical to experience the sunrise on the water. It also has interesting sites such as the Konark Sun Temple and the holy city of Puri within close proximity.
7. Cayos Cochinos Islands, Honduras – This marine protected area is home to some of the best scuba diving in the Caribbean. It is also home to two Garifuna communities that are a pleasure to visit, East End and Chachahuate. The islands also have a resort to stay at but staying in the local communities is where it’s at!
8. Botanical Beach, Vancouver Island, Canada – This is another one of my favourite beaches along the Juan de Fuca Trail on Vancouver Island. What makes it special is the amazing tidal pools that are left behind at low tide. You can walk carefully and explore the mini ecosystems that develop in the tidal pools! Amazing site to see!
These are just a few of the many amazing beaches I’ve explored throughout my travels and I can’t wait to discover more. Tell us where else are the best beaches around the world. Feel free to share some of yours!
For more travel inspiration visit us at www.travelroots.ca.